The Great Closet Cleanout


So, I cleaned out my closet in August. August. I took a bunch of before and after pictures with the full intentions to write up a post on how I did it. Well three months have passed and I still haven't posted anything about cleaning out my closet. Today is the day though, I have finally written the post. Here we go!


Before                                                                After                                             

So…How did I go from a crazy disaster of old toys and half-hung clothes to a neat and organized clothing haven? Let's start fresh:


























I Started by pulling everything out of my closet and sorting through it. I bought a few Rubble Maids and packed up everything I decided to keep. With the help of my strong mom and dad we moved them into storage.

I them tackled the top shelf. It was pretty much just old baby toys and pictures so we just rearranged everything and moved a few other boxes into storage as well.

Now comes the fun part…putting everything back in!

The first section to go in was my sweater shelf. It's important to fold sweaters because hanging them and cause them to stretch and loose their shape.


Also, be very careful when it comes to beaded sweaters, be sure they are folded gently as to not snag themselves or other sweaters.

Next I put some of my shoes in the thin shelf above. By placing your shoes like mine you minimize the amount to horizontal space your shoes take up, this allows you to almost double the amount of shoes you are able to store. (You're welcome hehe ;)


I used the middle column to store random pieces. Tip: Experiment with storage solutions! I tried using bins as drawers and just by putting the lid on the bottom and volia, even more organized space to store things!

Moving on to the other side of the closet, this side has two rods. On the top rod I hung all of my non-foldable shirts like blouses and button-ups and on the bottom i hung all of my dresses/ longer blouses. I'm sorry I didn't get a better image of this, trying to take pictures in a small closet is a lot harder than it looks hehe.







I also made this quick diagram for those of you who want to just cut right to the chase. (my posts have been mighty long lately ;)



I hope you enjoyed today's post and that it gave you some closet-cleanout inspiration!

And, as always, thanks for reading!









2 comments:

  1. Great post as always! Up until this post, I actually hung all my sweaters on hangers! I have this one white sweater that I already noticed was starting to stretch out and lose its shape but I caught it just in time thanks to this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! I used to hang my sweaters as well but when saw that one of them was really stretched out I knew I had to start folding them.

      Delete