Travel Tips and Tricks

So, I have read about a hundred "Travel Tips" posts, and while they can be quite informative, I find that a lot of tips are the same, but stated in different ways. Now that I am home from New York (more posts coming soon!) I want to give you some tips today that you haven't heard before (I hope!). Let's get right into it!


1 // Staying Caught-Up



It's important that when you go on vacation that you still keep up with your work at home. I like to get everything done before I go, like writing tests and handing in assignments. I know it's not what you'd like to be doing but even if you say that you'll do homework on the plane, I can almost guarantee you won't. I speak from experience ;). I also like to ask my teachers for the notes that I will be missing, or worst case, I go in at lunch or during my schools free work period and ask them to give me a quick run-down.



2 // Plan for the Worst


Now, I know this is not the most original tip, but it is vital to having a stress free(ish) trip! My emergency kit consists of the following:
  • Tampons // Nobody wants to have their period on Vacation, but sometimes mother nature is a bitch. 
  • An Emergency Makeup Kit // If your luggage ever gets lost, you don't want to be stuck without any makeup. I usually throw in a BB cream, mascara, blush, and lip balm (travel sized of course!).
  • An Extra Pair of Underwear // Maybe a little TMI but I already talked about tampons, so I guess we're cool. Like I said before, if your luggage were to get lost or mother nature gives you an unexpected "present" a fresh pair of underwear is your best friend.
  • Phone Charger // No explanation needed ;)

3 // Use a Backpack for a Carry-On



This is the backpack I'm using for
 New York!
Unless all you're taking is a carry-on, you really don't need all that much in your carry-on. Backpacks are great because they free up your hands, fit under the seat in front of you (no fighting over space in the overhead compartment and easy access to everything), and have tons of compartments and zipper pockets. Also, you can carry loads more in a backpack than an over-the-shoulder bag because the weight is more balanced.



Check back on Monday to see exactly what I pack in my carry-on, or check out what I pack for long road trips here!





4 // Get Up Early


Depending on the type of vacationer you are this tip will vary. I will be putting up a post next week to help you distinguish what type of traveller you are (I will link it here). My best advice for someone who really wants to see as much as they can while away, get up early, especially when you're somewhere cold. I guarantee you that the places you want to see will be much, much less busy early in the morning, especially if they are outside and it is a little chilly. The same thing goes for Disneyland and other theme parks, there are always way less people out in the mornings.



5 // Go During Off-Season


By going during off-season you will be saving time and money as flights and hotels are often much less expensive and the destinations much less crowded. Going to New York in November is way less expensive than going in December or October because it's kind of in limbo between October and its beautiful fall atmosphere and December and its Christmas festivities. We have found that the best time to go to Disney World/Land is in January (it may not be very warm though ;).


I hope these tips are helpful! I love reading travel blogs right before I go on vacation, I use it as a way to channel my excited energy! 

What is your dream vacation destination?

Thanks for reading!



  

1 comment:

  1. Great travel tips! I've never used a backpack as my carry-on, just my oversized totebag as it can also carry loads as well! And unfortunately I can't go during off-season times as my dad is way too busy at work!! We are forced to take our vacations only during the Christmas break or summertime:(

    ReplyDelete